[cups-devel] CUPS printer profiles not exported via IPP?

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Thu Oct 9 08:20:31 PDT 2014

Hi everybody,

I'm currently trying to understand, why Gtk+ doesn't see the printer
profiles created in KDE. KDE writes this data to .cups/lpoptions. As
<printer>/<profile>. These are displayed in KDE and LibreOffice printer
dialogs.

The Gtk+ printer dialog just shows the normal printers. I had a look at
the LibreOffice cups backend, which uses cupsGetDests, and Gtk+ cups
backend, which uses IPP calls with CUPS_GET_PRINTERS to get the printer
list.

Can someone just verify my understanding of the problem: .cups/lpoptions
is a local file and printer profiles are a user specific local
convenience feature, independant of the server and therefore not
editable via localhost:631 or queryable via IPP.

Thanks

Jan-Marek