[cups-devel] systemd unit files and service names

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Sat Oct 11 06:23:20 PDT 2014

With cups release 2.0.0 systemd support is now integrated. But the
service names have pretty uncommon names and differ from what Arch,
Fedora and Debian ship now for some time.

old names:
cups.service
cups.socket
cups.path

new names:
org.cups.cupsd.service
org.cups.cupsd.socket
org.cups.cupsd.path

We have cups-filters that "Wants=cups.service" and
system-config-printer that "Requires=cups.socket" in their unit files.

We in Arch Linux now have to decide whether we stay with the new
upstream given names and patch depending packages or revert to the old
ones. Or use service Alias and symlinks.

I've seen Fedora reverting that unit file names and service names. I
suggest to do this in one common way in all Linux distros and avoid
downstream patching.

What do you think?

Upstream report introducing systemd was
https://www.cups.org/str.php?L3917.