[cups-devel] systemd unit files and service names

Jiri Popelka jpopelka at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 01:58:01 PDT 2014

On 10/11/2014 03:23 PM, Andreas Radke wrote:
> With cups release 2.0.0 systemd support is now integrated. But the
> service names have pretty uncommon names and differ from what Arch,
> Fedora and Debian ship now for some time.
>
> old names:
> cups.service
> cups.socket
> cups.path
>
> new names:
> org.cups.cupsd.service
> org.cups.cupsd.socket
> org.cups.cupsd.path
>
> We have cups-filters that "Wants=cups.service" and
> system-config-printer that "Requires=cups.socket" in their unit files.
>
> We in Arch Linux now have to decide whether we stay with the new
> upstream given names and patch depending packages or revert to the old
> ones. Or use service Alias and symlinks.
>
> I've seen Fedora reverting that unit file names and service names. I
> suggest to do this in one common way in all Linux distros and avoid
> downstream patching.

I renamed (Fedora) them back to 'old names' because I don't think users
would be happy from typing:
$ systemctl restart org.cups.cupsd.service
instead of
$ systemctl restart cupsd.service

or some may even still use the legacy initscripts' service command
(which now internally redirects to the above equivalent)
because of their conservativeness and perhaps anti-systemd tentencies
$ service cups restart
and such people would refuse to change the way they do it for ages.

Andreas, I'll happily adopt whatever better solution (Alias and
symlinks) you have. Of course best would be to see such a change upstream.

--
Jiri