[cups] AirPrint on Linux not on OSX

Sy Bensky subensky at cox.net
Mon Sep 1 09:45:48 PDT 2014

Hi,

Earlier this year - with help from the on-line CUPS Discussion group - I was able to
figure out how to register my two non-AirPrint printers (HP LaserJet 1200 and Samsung
CLP-300) as AiPrint capable on a PowerMac (OSX 10.8.3) using dns-sd.

Last month I installed Ubuntu Linux 14.04 on a spare PC.  I went through the install and
customization and installed to two printers.  I printed the test pages to verify that the
printers were installed correctly.  There was nothing about AirPrint in the printer
install dialogs.

Later that day I was printing something from my iPhone and discovered that somehow Linux
had registered the two printers as AirPrint capable.

Since Linux and OSX use CUPS as the printing system I became curious as to why AirPrint is
supported on Linux and not on OSX.  On Linux, Avahi
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_(software) is the zero-configuration networking
implementation for multicast dns-sd service discovery.

I downloaded the CUPS 1.7.5 source code and scanned for references to Avahi.  One of the
references returned by grep is the following:

/Downloads/CUPS/cups-1.7.5/cups-1.7.5/CHANGES-1.6.txt:	- CUPS now supports Bonjour using
Avahi

My question: if CUPS supports Bonjour on Linux, why does it not support Bonjour on Mac OSX?

Sy

--
Twitter: an internet messaging service
Tweet:   a message sent over the Twitter service