[cups] Displaying job sender name on printer

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Sep 6 07:15:17 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-09-06 at 13:05 +0200, Fabrice Delente wrote:
> In my school, we use cups on our linux machines to send our jobs to a
> mass printer. On the printer, in the jobs list, every sender appears
> as 'CUPS User'... I'd like to know if there is a way, with lpoptions
> or another tool, to set the job sender name on the computer, before
> the job is sent to the printer.

For HP Laserjet printers you can connect to the printer's 9100 port,
send an escape string and then text to display on the display.  Do this
before every job - as the text will remain until changed or the printer
is power-cycled.  So sometimes people also send a string at the end of
every job.

But every printer will be different, and some cannot do it all.  Maybe
some printers support it directly as IPP put this information in the
envelope [I believe].  I haven't seen that however;  sadly, what I see
is enterprise printers trending back towards being more proprietary.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383