[cups] StartOutput output_header_error -- solved, sort-of

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Sep 8 08:17:47 PDT 2014

On Monday 08 September 2014 06:40:02 HÃ¥kon Alstadheim did opine
And Gene did reply:
> After lots of digging, I believe I have found a work-around, which I am
> sure can be improved upon.
>
> First, I have moved cups from the main server, since my initial line of
> inquiry was incompatibilities between kernel-hardening and the canon
> drivers. I relaxed the flags on /tmp (chmod o-t /tmp) . No immediate
> success, though there is something fishy about how canon handles
> symlinks in /tmp I think.
>
> More consistent "success" came from moving
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoncapcpca (as per debian directory layout) to
> pstoncapcpca_0, and inserting a shell script in its place, like so
> (I'll leave the stuff needed to figure things out in there, but beware
> printing large files with strace):
> ------
> #!/bin/bash
> env > /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> echo -n "ppid " >> /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> echo $PPID  >> /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> ps auxwww | grep $PPID   >> /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> echo >> /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> echo "$@"  >> /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> echo Open files:  >> /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> lsof -p $$   >> /tmp/pstoncap-env-$$
> #exec strace -ff -o /tmp/pstoncap-trace -e open,write
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoncapcpca_0 "$@"
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> exec /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoncapcpca_0 "$@"
> -------
>
> The strace led me to finding som missing dependencies (search for '= -'
> in the output), but I believe the main part is getting rid ov my locale
> settings.
>

> The moral of this story is obviously: Don't buy Canon i-SENSYS LBP 7100
> if all you have is linux machines.

I can simplify that down to one name, and its not Epson, mainly because
their ink costs per page are interstellar.

Brother, has linux drivers available even for the $110 B&W Laser on their
support site that generally speaking work very well.  The only bitch I
have is if the printer needs a firmware update, for that you have to find
a windows boxen, the firmware updates cannot be done from linux, not even
with crossover.

Currently I have two of their lasers, one color, one B&W.  I'd buy them
again in a heartbeat.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)