[cups] Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Trusty, print to file not working

coxster dillon coxsterdillon at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:40:24 PDT 2014

Hi,

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 from 12.04 sometime ago.  Previously cups would print to file no problem.  Since updating I've had to put the "FileDevice yes" in "cups-files.conf" to allow the web front to work; previously I seem to have put it in "cupsd.conf".

The web front end shows the printer and I can add new file printers using different drivers, print to file.

Previously print to file would place a file in "/tmp" and the web front end under jobs used to say pages 1 where is now it says unknown by any print operation and no file is put in folder.

No errors in "/var/log/cups/errors.log" which I tailed while printing from Gutenprint addon and gedit.

It looks like files appear in folder "/var/spool/cups" when printing.

>From my "etc/cups/printers.cfg":

<DefaultPrinter To_file>
UUID urn:uuid:55a1f72f-6be5-30c7-5c14-3fe098aa491d
Info To_file
Location gigglerbox
DeviceURI file:///tmp/epson
PPDTimeStamp *
State Idle
StateTime 1389552981
Type 8388612
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
ColorManaged Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job
</Printer>

I am stuck because there are no errors for me to research.

Regards,

dc