[cups] PDF workflow with old server?

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Wed Apr 15 09:59:05 PDT 2015

Well, I think the problems are due to the pdftops filter implemented on the server machine.
Though the error_log does not tell which system CUPS is running on, I think it is some
Linux distribution.
The problem is that the pdftops filter implemented uses Ghostscript to do the conversion
using the pswrite device. That device renders all glyphs ov all fonts as bitmaps, which leads
to huge PostScript files and thus to long processing and printing times.

The best solution I can propose is the following:
–	Check if there is a utility „/usr/bin/pdftops“ of „/usr/local/bin/pdftops“.
	If not, install a the package „doppler-utils“ (this is the name in Ubuntu and Ubuntu derived
	distributions)
	or
	download
	„xpdf-3.04.tar.gz“ from „www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html <http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html>“
	and compile and install it.
_	get the Perl script „pdftops“ from me and put it into the „/usr/lib/cups/filter“ directory
	(for safety reasons, save the original pdftops filter!).

Let me know if this is an option for you. If yes, I’ll send you the Perl script and a pdftops.conf file
I used ever since.

Helge