[cups] PDF workflow with old server?

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Apr 16 02:44:21 PDT 2015

> Am 16.04.2015 um 10:22 schrieb Johan Bengtsson <elijah at chalmers.se>:
>
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2015, Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>> I’ll send you the attachments off the list (as the list handler strips off attachments):
>> pdftops						Perl script (needed at least Perl 5.8.3)
>> 			to be put into /usr/lib/cups/filter
>> pdftops.conf					configuration file, needed for the xpdf utility from footballs.com
>> 			to be put into /etc/cups (the Perl scripts reads it from there)
>>
>> The configuration file can be empty if you use the pdftops utility from poppler-utils.
>
> OK, I tried now, printing is fast enough. But unfortunately tray selection is
> ignored.
Looking into the sources of cuts-1.4.x, I see that the „mime.convs“ file as generated
by the configure script contains the line
application/pdf		application/vnd.cups-postscript	66	pdftops
For use with the pdftops filter from me, replace it by
application/pdf		application/postscript			66	pdftops
to make sure that the PostScript created by this pdftops filter is fed
through the stops filter, which honours all of the PDF default settings.
(The original 1.4.x pdftops filter calls the stops filter internally).

If you prefer not to modify the mime.cons file, I could easily modify my
filter script to mimic the behavior of the original pdftops filter. Let me know.