[cups] CUPS printing problems with 'Fit to Page Size'

Helge Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Mon Apr 27 01:50:16 PDT 2015

Fairly recently, the cups-filters package from openprinting.org
changed a default setting:

IMAGE PRINTING DEFAULT CHANGED TO "SCALE TO FIT"

     Compared to the PostScript-based original CUPS filters there is a
     change of defaults: The imagetopdf and imagetoraster filters print
     in "scale-to-fit" mode (image is scaled to fill one page but
     nothing of the image being cut off) by default.

     This is done to support photo printing via AirPrint. The photo
     apps on Apple's iOS devices send print jobs as JPEG images and do
     not allow to set any options like "scaling" or the page size. With
     "scale-to-fit" mode set by default, the iOS photos come out on one
     page, as expected.

     To get back to the old behavior, supply one of the options
     "nofitplot" "filplot=Off", "nofit-to-page", or "fit-to-page=Off".

(from the README file).

Please try one of the options listed in the last line of the above
text snippet
and tell if it then works as you expected.

Helge