[cups] Printing from linux to Windows Server using http

gavinw2 gavinw2 at hmgcc.gsi.gov.uk
Mon Apr 27 06:57:32 PDT 2015

Folks,

Can anyone offer any meaningful guidance for getting an Ubuntu Desktop
(14.04.2) to print (via cups) over http to a Windows Server 2012 machine.
The windows box has "Internet Printing" installed and an HP MFD M630
attached as a shared network printer.

I can view the printer using http://server/printers from both the
windows box and the Ubuntu box.

On the Ubuntu box I have cups 1.7.2 installed and HPLIP 3.14.2 installed
(I don't think HPLIP is actually needed for printing but I did use it to
identify the appropriate PPD file).  I have added the printer using the
URL http://server/printers/printer_name/.printer.
However, when I print (from chrome) to the printer I usually end up with
a print job stuck in the queue on the Ubuntu box with a status of "Held
for Authentication".  Using right-click Authenticate and supplying valid
domain credentials does not help.
On the Windows box we have tried setting authentication to "Windows
authentication", to "Basic authentication" and to "anonymous" but still
cannot get a print jobs to run successfully.
I need to get http working for this, rather than Samba, as the end game
will involve using https.

Any/all help much appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin

the system manager.

Scanned by the Clearswift SECURE Email Gateway.

www.clearswift.com

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Vodafone in partnership with Symantec. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) This email has been certified virus free.