[cups] Custom backend with fork()

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Apr 29 05:32:27 PDT 2015

Johannes,

> On Apr 29, 2015, at 12:44 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
> If 10 jobs are queued in one single print queue,
> then at any time at most one single job is actively printing.
>
> If 10 jobs are queued in 10 print queues (one job in each queue)
> then all 10 jobs are actively printing in parallel.
>
> As far as I understand it this is the fundamental behaviour
> how a queue is expected to work.

That is currently how things work, however we have had requests to support processing multiple jobs destined for the same printer in parallel, both for high-capacity printers that need it to maintain job throughput and for shared queues where you want to get all of the jobs off the client as quickly as possible.

(so expect the current behavior to change in the future, although probably not without extra configuration)