[cups] Custom backend with fork()

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Apr 29 06:12:36 PDT 2015

Hello,

On Apr 29 05:32 Michael Sweet wrote (excerpt):
> support processing multiple jobs destined for the same
> printer in parallel

As far as I understand it "processing multiple jobs in parallel"
usually means that the filtering runs in parallel but not that
several backends send data simultaneously to one same printer device.

E.g. see
the "parallel printing / queues possible?" mail thread on
http://cups.org/pipermail/cups/2012-November/thread.html
and
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1382
and
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4085

But technically high-end network printer devices could be able
to receive data simultaneously via several network connections
so that it could make sense to run several backends in parallel
for one same printer device.

Several years ago I tested once how a usual network printer behaves
when it gets data simultaneously via several network connections...
( wasn't much fun ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)