[cups] Print job inverts colours halfway

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Wed Aug 12 12:36:39 PDT 2015

Thanks for the PS file. The strange thing is that the text part has been converted
to an image. That leads me to the suspicion that the requested font, Courier,
which is not embedded in the PDF, is supplied by your system in a format the
popper based pdftops utility cannot convert to a PostScript font and thus renders
the text block as an image.
Strangely, this image – a black and white image – is encoded inverted, i.e.
black pixels are represented by zeroes and white pixels by ones.
This setting, though correctly specified in the image dictionary, obviously is
ignored by the proprietary pstoufr2cpca filter which converts PostScript to
Canon’s UFR2 format.

Googling for this filter, I found some entries stating that the 64-bit implementation of this
filter has several issues (none seems to know the cause), but the 32-bit implementation
should work, which you probably had on your previous CentOS 6 system.

As I don’t think you’ll get support from Canon in reasonable time, I’d subset to
install the 32-bit version of this filter. You probably need to install additional 32-bit support
libraries (if not already present) – at least I found respective hints regarding Ubuntu distros.

An alternative could be to install the set of the „35 base fonts“ as Type1 or TTF fonts
but that would require to be compatible with your fontconfig system.

If you have Ghostscript installed (copiled with the configure option „—disable-compile-inits“),
you may use the URW font collection that comes with Ghostscript (or you could download
this collection from Ghostscript’s download site).

I hope this helps at least to some extend. Please let me know about your progress.

Helge