[cups] Brother HL-L8250CDN

Ruben De Smet ruben.de.smet at telenet.be
Tue Aug 18 02:48:09 PDT 2015

Hello,

My system: Fedora 22 64 bit on Intel.

I bought a Brother HL-L8250CDN some time ago. I used Brother's
proprietary drivers (as network printer) since then. I recently upgraded
to Fedora 22 and the old drivers stopped working.

The open source driver that 'just works' is called "Generic PCL 6/PCL XL
Printer".

Everything works, except for one thing: color printing.

By "works", I mean:
* My printer actually prints a LOT faster with the open source drivers
* The open drivers detect/use the duplexer, which is great
* It printed a lot of stuff in greyscale since the installation

I'd like to get the color working (again), but I don't know where to
start. I know my C(++) when needed, but I can't find my way in the
'drivers' of CUPS.

I attached the log of /usr/lib/cups/backend/dnssd, which might be useful
because it has these interesting "Color=T" flags.

Afaics, PCL (as standard(?)) supports color, but CUPS only lets me
select between grayscale and inverted grayscale. No color, no love

On a less important note: Brother markets that this printer can do
2400x600 dpi. I can't select any resolution higher than 600x600 dpi.

Cited from the Brother website:

> BR-Script3 emulation
>
> BR-Script is an original Brother page description language and a
PostScript® language emulation interpreter. The BR-Script driver gives
you greater control over a document's text and graphics compared to the
non-PostScript driver.

Is there (free) BR-Script3 for CUPS already? Perhaps that's interesting too.

Could someone guide me a little?

Ruben

--
I prefer encrypted email. My key's signature ends in 1213DC10 and here's
a tutorial: http://lifehacker.com/180878/how-to-encrypt-your-email