[cups] accessing a remote cups server

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 11:17:49 PDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM, John Young <kimyoung at mac.com> wrote:

> I am a rank newbie at this.
>
> How do I remotely access my home server from my laptop so I can set the
> server up as a cups server? myhomeservenamer.local:631 did not do it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kim Young
>
> I don't see any responses for you, so I'll hazard a guess. I'm a newbie,
just graduating from rank newbie.

If you have cups running on your home server, it is a cups server. If you
can ping your server at 'myhomeservernamer.local', and it is running cups
on the usual port, you should be able to open a browser and go to
'myhomeservernamer.local:631'. I assume the home server is connected
directly to a printer and you're wanting to print to that printer from your
laptop? I think you'll need to run another cups server on your laptop that
connects to the one on that server.

If you give more information, you can get more help. What Operating System,
version of cups, cups configuration, attempts of what you did and output.
Output from cups diagnostics commands (the names escape me...not lpr, but
some others...). Good luck!

In Christ,
Aaron Laws