[cups-devel] Is there a command line tool to dissect CUPS job control files?

pipitas pipitas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:24:16 PDT 2015

I know I can use `ipptool` in order to request a report from the CUPS
server about all user provided or default printjob options.

What can I do however, if I got a big bunch of just job-control files
(named like `c123456`), but no more the associated CUPS server (which has
been dismantled)?

The task is to do some "print forensics" based on the c-files only (no
d-files available, no `error_log`).

Running `strings` or `xxd` on the files shows that they indeed are CUPS
c-files.

Is there any command line tool around which would lend itself to scripting,
so these files could be analyzed?

(A workaround could be to set up a fake CUPS server and sort of make it
cuckoo them into its spool directory nest, then run ipptool... But there
should be an easier way, I guess....)