[cups] not possible to print after an error occur

Meyer Klaus kmeyer at dohle.com
Tue Dec 8 04:15:28 PST 2015

Hello List,

we are using cups 2.0.2.  The printer are connected via socket. Now I recognize that when a printer runs out of paper or some other error occur, cups stops printing. Although the error police is to stop the printer, it remains in state busy.
After the error on the printer is solved (can take up to several hours) cups won't start the jobs which are in the queue. The first job is in state "The printer is not responding".
Disable the printer and reeanble it leads to printer is idle, accepting jobs but it won't print anything. To solve this problem I have to restart cups or delete the first job and move all other jobs to the same printer with another name. I am unable to print the job which is in error state.
After all jobs are moved, the printer accepts printing jobs again.

How can I solve this problem in another way? Before cups 2.0.2 we were using cups 1.3.5. With this version we never had such problems.

Regards,

Klaus

Dohle Handelsgruppe Service GmbH & Co. KG | Jean-Dohle-Straße 1 (Zufahrt: Alte Lohmarer Straße 59) | 53721 Siegburg | Telefon 0 22 41/1 22 0 | HRA Siegburg 2488
Pers. haftende Gesellschaft: Dohle Handelsgruppe Service Verwaltung GmbH | HRB Siegburg 4941
Geschäftsführer: Gert Schambach | Dr. Carl Bauerschmitz | Patrick Höhn | Daniel Kniel | Nils Nikolai