[cups] Watermark not printing in CUPS

Joseph Fisher jxfish2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 06:01:32 PST 2015

To whom it may concern,

I added a printer through CUPS.

I then added code to the newly created PPD file to enable this code:

     http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ppd.html  -  Custom Options
section of the document

**% Base JCL key code option *JCLOpenUI JCLPasscode/Key Code: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 10 JCLSetup *JCLPasscode *DefaultJCLPasscode: None
*JCLPasscode None/No Code: "" *JCLPasscode 1111: "@PJL SET PASSCODE =
1111<0A>" *JCLPasscode 2222: "@PJL SET PASSCODE = 2222<0A>" *JCLPasscode
3333: "@PJL SET PASSCODE = 3333<0A>" *JCLCloseUI: *JCLPasscode *% Custom
JCL key code option *CustomJCLPasscode True: "@PJL SET PASSCODE = \1<0A>"
*ParamCustomJCLPasscode Code/Key Code: 1 passcode 4 4 *

**% Base PostScript watermark option*
*OpenUI WatermarkText/Watermark Text: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *WatermarkText
*DefaultWatermarkText: None
*WatermarkText None: ""
*WatermarkText Draft: "<</cupsString1(Draft)>>setpagedevice"
*CloseUI: *WatermarkText
**% Custom PostScript watermark option*
*CustomWatermarkText True: "<</cupsString1 3 -1 roll>>setpagedevice"
*ParamCustomWatermarkText Text: 1 string 0 32
**% Base PostScript gamma/density option*
*OpenUI GammaDensity/Gamma and Density: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *GammaDensity
*DefaultGammaDensity: Normal
*GammaDensity Normal/Normal: "<</cupsReal1 1.0/cupsReal2 1.0>>setpagedevice"
*GammaDensity Light/Lighter: "<</cupsReal1 0.9/cupsReal2 0.67>>setpagedevice"
*GammaDensity Dark/Darker: "<</cupsReal1 1.1/cupsReal2 1.5>>setpagedevice"
*CloseUI: *GammaDensity
**% Custom PostScript gamma/density option*
*CustomGammaDensity True: "<</cupsReal1 3 -1 roll/cupsReal2 5 -1>>setpagedevice"
*ParamCustomGammaDensity Gamma: 1 curve 0.1 10
*ParamCustomGammaDensity Density: 2 real 0 2

After adding the code to the PPD file and bouncing CUPS, the new Watermark
options now appear inside of the CUPS web admin page.

Everything looks perfect inside of the GUI.

I can select exactly what I want to configure inside of the GUI, but when I
attempt to print, no watermark ever appears.

Has anyone else had this same issue before?

If so, does anyone have a solution to the problem?

Did I simply miss putting something else in the PPD file that was required?

Thanks in advance,

JCF