[cups] How to find a PPD for an HP printer?

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Sun Feb 8 05:28:24 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:15:33AM -0500, Alan McConnell wrote:

	.  .  .  .  .  .  .

>        In the meantime, I'm going to find another, non-Brother,
>        printer.
	   Which I have now done.  As a couple of people advised,
	   I went to my local Staples and bought an HP.
	        HP Laserjet Pro MPP M127fn
	   I spent lots of yesterday playing with it.  It makes
	   very nice copies.<g>

	   But I can't find a PPD for this machine.  It seems to me
	   that HP is even more Linux-hostile than Brother.

	   I am turning once again to this E-list to inquire if
	   anyone can tell me how to find this PPD.  After having
	   done more research, I have come to _believe_(? ! ? )
	   that the PPD I want is a text file; is this true?.  If so
	   I hope to find such a file, bring it to e.g. my home
	   directory on my Linux system, and then go into CUPS,
	   Add a printer, put in my found PPD, and, if the gods
	   are willing, print happily away.

	   Will this work?  and does anyone know where a PPD file
	   for the above-named HP printer can be found?

	   [  I have done a bit of playing with HPLIP;  it is
	   HORRIBLE!! ]

Many thanks in advance for anticipated help!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   "War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."(Bierce)