[cups] How to find a PPD for an HP printer?

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Mon Feb 9 12:03:46 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 10:01:27AM +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

	.  .  .  .  .

> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html
> I cannot find a "HP Laserjet Pro MPP M127fn" but
> I can find a "HP LaserJet Pro MFP m127fn"
    	 That's what I've got; except mine is a M127fn.  Sorry for
	 the mis-capitalizations.

> If you really have a "HP LaserJet Pro MFP m127fn"
> it is the opposite of what at least I had advised
> in my former mail here (excerpt):
> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015
> To: The CUPS user discussion list. <cups at cups.org>
> Subject: Re: [cups] Difficulty in Adding a printer
> .
> .
> .
> Not just "something" from HP
> Instead make sure
> that the particular model does not need any kind of
> "downloadable driver plug-in" or firmware download
  	  Excellent advice.  Except the clerks in our local office
	  supply store have barely heard of Linux, and wouldn't have
	  a clue about "downloadable driver plug-in".  Of course if
	  I'd been smart, I'd have put together a list of printers
	  that work under Linux, printed out this list and taken it
	  with me . . .  Oh, wait!  I haven't got a printer to
	  print out such a list.  [  Feeble attempt at a joke . .  ]

	  I am learning that HP has issued some SW "hplip" that
	  will work to "make things easy to use an HP printer".
	  I have been advised to install it.  Well, I have.  And
	  I've run some of its diagnostics.  First, it tells me
	  that my CUPS needs a lot more enhancements.  It also tells
	  me that I have no CUPS printer for it to work on.  Well,
	  of course I don't!  I can't "Add a printer" until I know
	  which PPD to use for it.

	  Someone mentioned a "CUPS compiler"; this intrigued me and
	  I google it.  It does exist, but its use is deprecated and
	  it will soon be removed.

	  I shall return this HP; fortunately the store from which I
	  bought it has liberal return policies(up to two weeks).
	  And I shall make an excursion of about 10 miles to a large
	  computer store, with a larger selection of printers and --
	  halte die Daumen! -- hope that there is a clerk there who
	  can give me advice about a printer that works with Linux
	  and CUPS.

	  My ancient HP LaserJet Series II -- state of the art in
	  1989, heavy as a tractor, and carted off a month ago to
	  the recycling center in our county -- worked just fine
	  with my previous Linux distribution, Debian Squeeze,
	  and with CUPS.  It is discouraging to see the
	  Linux/printing industry interface take such a large backward
	  step.

Best wishes to all.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   "Women run for office to do something, and men run for