[cups] Using the new IPP Everywhere PPD generator with cups-browsed

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:02:13 PST 2015

On 13.02.2015 10:09, Michael Sweet wrote:

> Prior to CUPS 2.1, you could just copy the _ppdCreateWithIPP code (not a lot of it), give it a new name, and link it into cups-browsed.

Done. cups-browsed now (cups-filters 1.0.64) creates queues with PPDs if
the printer supports it.

> However, the code is new, has some missing features, and you've already found bugs, so I would not yet look to incorporate this into production code just yet...

I see. I planned to have a PPD generator in cups-browsed already for a
year or so and therefore opened a student project on GSoC which no one
has taken. I have also tried some stuff by myself but not finished, and
even posted the student project for next GSoC a day before you committed
your PPD generator. Now I have reworded the student project for
improving the current PPD generator, especially support for borderless
printing and UIConstraints derived from the media collection database.

I ave also found one very important point of improvement: Do not write
option entries directly into the file, but into a buffer. When the entry
is completed, check whether it has at least two choices (PageSize: One
choice). If not, do not write the option entry into the file. ith this
your PPDs should pass cupstestppd even if the printer is buggy or not
fully IPP-Everywhere-conforming.

Thank you very much.

   Till