[cups] setting margins when printing a ps (postscript) file

Istvan Gabor suseuser04 at freemail.hu
Tue Feb 17 12:26:46 PST 2015

Hello:

I use cups with openSUSE linux. This question applies to cups 1.5.3 in openSUSE 12.2.

I have a (proprietary) program which generates ps (postscript) file output and sends it to cups to print it out. I can not affect in any way what comes out from the program. The problem is that the left margin of the generated ps file is too big. I would like to make it smaller when printed (taht is cut down the left side of the page). The printer has a ppd file and accompanying filter. I changed the ImageableArea from "0 0 595 842" to "30 0 595 842" and to other left lower x values but it had no effect on the printed margin. If I convert the file to pdf by ps2pdf and print the pdf, the setting is respected, the margin becomes smaller (or the left side of the page is cut off). How could I do the same with printing the ps file without converting it manually to pdf?

Thanks in advance,

Istvan