[cups] setting margins when printing a ps (postscript) file

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Feb 26 03:54:11 PST 2015

Hello again,

On Feb 17 21:26 Istvan Gabor wrote (excerpt):
> cups 1.5.3 in openSUSE 12.2
> I have a (proprietary) program which generates ps (postscript)
> file output and sends it to cups to print it out. I can not
> affect in any way what comes out from the program.
> If I convert the file to pdf by ps2pdf and print the pdf,
> the setting is respected
> How could I do the same with printing the ps file without
> converting it manually to pdf?

Based on what I learned in this mail-thread I have updated
and enhanced

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Its new section "Print Job Data Specific Custom Filters"
is based on  what Helge Blischke wrote in his mail
in this mail-thread on "Mon, 23 Feb 2015".

Helge Blischke,
many thanks for that!

Istvan Gabor,
you asked for "Print Queue Specific Custom Filters"
that is now also described there.

But I think in your particular case you actually need only
"Print Job Data Specific Custom Filters" because why should the
weird PostScript from that proprietary program be fixed only for
specific print queues via "Print Queue Specific Custom Filters"
instead of fixing only this kind of weird PostScript for all
print queues via "Print Job Data Specific Custom Filters"?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)