[cups-devel] [UNKN] STR #4579: New IPP Everywhere PPD generator produces PPD which fails cupstestppd

Till Kamppeter noreply at cups.org
Thu Feb 12 17:38:15 PST 2015

[STR New]

I have tested the new PPD generator backporting the patches of STR #4258
into CUPS 2.0.2.

As I do not have an IPP Everywhere printer at hand I have taken two
machines in the same local network, one machine being the server and one
the client. On the server I stopped CUPS and ran ippserver to emulate the
printer as follows:

sudo ippserver -vv -p 631 testprinter &

On the client I get:

till at till-twist:~/ubuntu/cups/git/vivid$ ippfind
ipp://virt-vivid.local:631/ipp/print
till at till-twist:~/ubuntu/cups/git/vivid$

and I create a print queue with the following command:

lpadmin -p test -E -v ipp://virt-vivid.local:631/ipp/print -m everywhere

which correctly creates a queue and does not report any errors. It
generates the file

/etc/cups/ppd/test.ppd

which I have attached.

cupstestppd gives the following output:

till at till-twist:~/ubuntu/cups/git/vivid$ cupstestppd /etc/cups/ppd/test.ppd
/etc/cups/ppd/test.ppd: FAIL
      **FAIL**  REQUIRED DefaultColorModel
                REF: Page 40, section 4.5.
        WARN    Size "A4" should be "210x0mm.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "A5" should be "148x0mm.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "A6" should be "4,125x0.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "EnvDL" should be "110x0mm.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "Legal" should be "8,5x0.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "Letter" should be "8,5x0.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "Env10" should be "4,125x0.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "3x5" should be "3x0.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "3.5x5" should be "3,5x0.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "4x6" should be "4x0.Transverse".
        WARN    Size "5x7" should be "5x0.Transverse".
till at till-twist:~/ubuntu/cups/git/vivid$

The failure is caused by this entry:

*OpenUI *ColorModel/Color Mode: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *ColorModel
*CloseUI: *ColorModel

It has neither default nor choices. If the printer does not report any
possibility to select the color space or to switch between color and bw
this option should be left out completely.

I have only one laptop at hand. The laptop itself is the client running
Utopic with CUPS 2.0.2 with the patches for the PPD generator applied. The
server is a virtual machine running on my laptop, running Vivid also with
CUPS 2.0.2 installed, so ippserver is of CUPS 2.0.2.

Link: https://www.cups.org/str.php?L4579
Version: 2.0-current