[cups] HPLIP: 2 drivers, 1 is problematic

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 19:37:32 PST 2015

I have the latest version of HPLIP installed and I added a new printer
to CUPS which is an HP LaserJet 400 M401dne.  Two relevant drivers
appear in CUPS:

- HP LaserJet 400 M401dne USB PHGFC47100 HPLIP (HP LaserJet 400 M401dne)

- HP LaserJet 400 M401dne (HP LaserJet 400 M401dne)

The first one is the default but it causes a 3-second pause in between
printing jobs.  The second one prints without the pause.  Does anyone
know why this happens, how to fix the first driver, or how to
configure CUPS to default to the second driver?

I'm switching to HP printers from Brother printers for the improved
Linux support.  I will go through a lot of these so I want to prevent
this sort of thing from tripping me up in the future.

- Grant