[cups] HPLIP: 2 drivers, 1 is problematic

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jan 7 05:53:29 PST 2015

Hello,

On Jan 6 19:37 Grant wrote (excerpt):
> I have the latest version of HPLIP installed and I added a new printer
> to CUPS which is an HP LaserJet 400 M401dne.  Two relevant drivers
> appear in CUPS:
>
> - HP LaserJet 400 M401dne USB PHGFC47100 HPLIP (HP LaserJet 400 M401dne)
>
> - HP LaserJet 400 M401dne (HP LaserJet 400 M401dne)
>
> The first one is the default but it causes a 3-second pause in between
> printing jobs.  The second one prints without the pause.  Does anyone
> know why this happens, how to fix the first driver, or how to
> configure CUPS to default to the second driver?

One cannot configure CUPS to prefer a particular driver.

Printer drivers are not part of CUPS.

Issues with printer drivers should be reported to the vendor
or authors of the particular printer driver software.

In case of HPLIP you can report issues to the authors via
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

FYI:
Delays in between printing jobs may also depend on the backend
(i.e. the program that actually sends data to the printer device).
In case of HPLIP you probably use the 'hp' backend from HPLIP
so that also issues with the 'hp' backend from HPLIP
should be reported via
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)