[cups] HPLIP: 2 drivers, 1 is problematic

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jan 9 06:04:12 PST 2015

Hello,

On Jan 8 11:26 Grant wrote (excerpt):
> I was wrong, it's not the printer driver, it's the CUPS connection
> method.  If the connection is hp:/ then I have the problematic pause.
> If the connection is usb:// then there is no pause.  Can I blacklist
> hp:/ connections?

Usually something like
# chmod a-x /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp
(perhaps plus a restart of the cupsd) should result that then
# lpinfo -v
does no longer list hp:/ connections which means that printer setup tools
that work in compliance with CUPS also do no longer list  hp:/ connections.

If this does not work you may move the backend exectuable
/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp away (or even delete it).

But note that only HP's own backend 'hp' from HPLIP provides special
additional functionality especially for HP printers that generic
backends like /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb cannot provide.

For some basic information see "The Backends" at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)