[cups] Acquire paper and tray info

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jan 9 06:24:36 PST 2015

Hello,

On Jan 8 12:44 Paul Mitchell wrote (excerpt):
> I'm attempting to print to a Konica Minolta bizhub printer, from Windows,
> using CUPS as the spooler.
> Form definitions are defined in the PPD file, however, I'm declaring
> this printer a "raw" printer so as to be able to process PJL statements.
> Thus, I bypass using the Minolta-PagePro_1250E-Postscript.ppd file.
>
> Is there some method for querying a printer and exporting definitions,
> or creating Form definitions for a "raw" device?

Not with a "raw" print queue, see "raw" at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Only an untested idea off the top of my head:

I assume you use a "raw" print queue because you want what is produced
on Windows (e.g. what the Windows application or printer driver produced)
to be sent unchanged to the printer device as described
in the section "Enforce 'raw' printing" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux

I assume that you also want to apply some "minor adjustments" to
what is produced by Windows (e.g. whatever form definitions form
the PPD file and/or whatever PJL commands - I do not understand
what exactly this is - for me it is "some minor adjustments").

For such "minor adjustments" it may work to use a so called
"System V style Interface Script" for the print queue,
see "/etc/cups/interfaces/" at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Such a "System V style Interface Script" is usually a script that
you must make yourself that implements the "minor adjustments"
as you need them in your particular case.
For the basic idea and some simple example have a look at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)