[cups] Acquire paper and tray info

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at email.unc.edu
Fri Jan 9 07:03:44 PST 2015

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> I assume that you also want to apply some "minor adjustments" to
> what is produced by Windows (e.g. whatever form definitions form
> the PPD file and/or whatever PJL commands - I do not understand
> what exactly this is - for me it is "some minor adjustments").

hello Johannes, by the above I mean including a line such as:

 	@PJL SET USERMEDIANAME="DV02"

which calls out the form "DV02" which is defined on the print engine.

> For such "minor adjustments" it may work to use a so called
> "System V style Interface Script" for the print queue,
> see "/etc/cups/interfaces/" at
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
>
> Such a "System V style Interface Script" is usually a script that
> you must make yourself that implements the "minor adjustments"
> as you need them in your particular case.
> For the basic idea and some simple example have a look at
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Thanks, this is worth while!  I'll give it a try.

Paul Mitchell

         Paul Mitchell
 	ITS Systems
         email: pmitchel at email.unc.edu
 	location: 440 Franklin, cubby 1512, CB#1150
 	desk phone: 919 445-0063