[cups] cups works fine at 1.4.3 on ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, doesn't on 1.5.3 on debian 7 (wheezy)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 10 08:51:59 PST 2015

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 09:31:00 AM G.W. Haywood did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi there,
>
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2015, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > rastertolxx74 seems to be missing ...
> > The missing file cannot be found with an apt-file search.
> >
> > Suggested fix?
>
> Any use?
>
> https://abf.io/current/cups-drivers-lxx74/tags

Doubtful Mr Haywood. The tar.gz only contains two files, and no build or
install instructions, and appears to be applicable only to lexmark (spit)
printers?  I scanned thru the two files without any enlightenment as it
meantions only LexMark stuff.

This is a Brother HL-3170CDW color laser printer, and both of the currant
Brother recommended drivers amd cups-wrappers are installed.  I have both
copied the whole thing over from the 10.04.4 LTS install, and re-
installed the newer (1.4.3 -> 1.5.3) cups packages from the debian
repo's, then removed the original printers, and let
localhost:631/printers go through the re-install/reconfigure, which it
does without complaint.  But no dirty paper issues.  So I powered down
and swapped the drives, so that I would be the exact same environment
that has Just Worked(TM) for several years, rebooted to 10.04.4 LTS but
with a 3.16.0 32 bit pae kernel, and it still works fine.  Two of the
toners are about used up, and it nags me about that on the display, but
it works.

Brother supports their printers 100% on linux, and LexMark still thinks a
linux user is that nasty unwashed kid next door, so the chances of my
ever buying anything with the LexMark label on it are unmeasurably small.

False flag, driven by some other error higher in the log stanza I quoted?
That I do not know, but I figured I am not the only Brother owner victim.

Thank you for replying.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)