[cups] cups works fine at 1.4.3 on ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, doesn't on 1.5.3 on debian 7 (wheezy)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jan 10 21:14:30 PST 2015

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 09:59:54 PM Michael Sweet did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene,
>
> You are missing a shared library:
> > On Jan 10, 2015, at 6:22 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > D [10/Jan/2015:05:40:46 -0500] [Job 13] Brother_HL-3170CDW_series:
> > error while loading shared libraries: libpoppler.so.5: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> which is part of Poppler.

Which does not appear to be in wheezy, aka debian 7.  I have some poppler
data files, and some poppler-tools installed, but the libpoppler itself
is present, but in a version so.19.0.0. Beaucoup newer IWO.

Since I could experiment, and I have previously found that one can
softlink a newer version to the old ones name and get by with it,
backward compatibility etc.

So I made a softlink from libpoppler.so.19.0.0 to libpoppler.so.5, and
while that did get rid of that error in the error log, its still missing
a LexMark filter rule file, rastertolxx74.

But try as I may, I fail to see any connection between that missing
lexmark filter and a Brother printer.  Since the link didn't result in a
working printer, I'll nuke it, and I've made another attempt to subscribe
to the debian-user AT lists.debian.org.  And this time it seems to have
worked.

Since the link didn't work, I managed to find that file and its softlink
on the old drive, and copied those two to the new drive, ran ldconfig
which found it, and restarted cups.  No biscuit, now the printer doesn't
even warm up the drums.  However, I "modified the printer" chosing the
2nd of the 3 choices displayed, then attempted a test page, and this
time, a different error:

Brother_HL-3170CDW_series: error while loading shared libraries:
libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That one I _was_ able to find in the repo's, installed it, restarted
cups, reconfigured the printer, printed a test page and its faded
slightly but IIRC I had tweaked on the defaults 2 years ago on the older
install.

So, until I find out different Michael, I'll start using it again, and I
have one less reason to blow this distro away & try something else.

Thanks for listening & reading.  Do you still have that Dodge Colt you
drove as a student all those years ago? Or at least that was the handle
you used on Delphi. Seems like that was half a lifetime ago, but it
wasn't as I am 80 now. I still have my coco's though.

Cheers Michael, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)