[cups] Acquire paper and tray info

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at email.unc.edu
Sun Jan 11 13:22:21 PST 2015

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Such a "System V style Interface Script" is usually a script that
> you must make yourself that implements the "minor adjustments"
> as you need them in your particular case.
> For the basic idea and some simple example have a look at
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Hello Johannes,
   I spent the weekend running through Micahaels CUPS book (albeit, a
somewhat ancient version) particularly the IPP, programming and CUPS
functions sections.

After turning on "debug" and sending an IPP file through it, I discovered
that "request file type is application/postscript." So my question is, if
that becomes the default type which is queued on the printer (which is
defined as a "raw" device) is any psto* filter employed?

I see in the illustrations the ability to switch from PostScript to PCL
(via PJL) so I assume I need to create a similar situation as this, but
merely add the PJL comand I'm interested in inserting.  However, I guess
I'm still uncertain where I might place that filter when the printer
dosn't address any PPD filesand none seem called out in the log.

Thanks,

Paul Mitchell
         Paul Mitchell
 	ITS Systems
         email: pmitchel at email.unc.edu
 	location: 440 Franklin, cubby 1512, CB#1150
 	desk phone: 919 445-0063