[cups] Location /jobs security (Unable to send document - Unauthorized)

Haines, Brandan BAHaines at cooperstandard.com
Tue Jan 13 05:52:38 PST 2015

Hello list:

I'm still having issues with the cupsd.conf configuration and security.  Michael suggested some things, but I haven't been able to get them to work yet.  I am hoping someone on the list can direct me to where I can get either support or more information (e.g. debugging/logging) to try and figure this out.

To recap my issue: in short, if I put this "<Location /jobs>" stanza in, printing from a remote client over LPD stops working.  If I do this setup, I'm NOT able to print, and get prompted for user/password on https://server/jobs

<Location /jobs>
 AuthType Basic
 Encryption Required
 Require group root sys lp
 Require user lpadmin admfr
 Order Deny,Allow
 Deny From All
 Allow From 127.0.0.1
 Allow From xxx
 Allow From yyy
 Allow From zzz
</Location>

If I do the following setup, I'm able to print, but still do not get prompted for user/password on https://server/jobs  I, simply, am trying to allow the CUPS server to accept jobs from remote clients over LPD and also secure the web interface.  The admin guide doesn't do a great job of describing the proper way to do this, so I've really just been trial-and-erroring it.  If someone out there has done this or can at least point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

<Location /jobs>
<Limit GET HEAD>
 AuthType Basic
 Encryption Required
 Require group root sys lp
 Require user lpadmin admfr
 Order Deny,Allow
 Deny From All
 Allow From 127.0.0.1
 Allow From xxx
 Allow From yyy
 Allow From zzz
</Limit>
</Location>

-Brandan

This e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the person(s) named above.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete/remove it from your computer system.  Any reading, distribution, printing or disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited if you are not the intended recipient of this message.  Neither this information block, the typed name of the sender, nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.