[cups] Difficulty in Adding a printer

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Wed Jan 14 16:03:31 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 04:40:40PM -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Alan,
>
> This looks like you have multiple cupsd processes running,
        I did have two cupsd processes running!  dunno why . . .
	I killed them both, and ran, in /etc/init.d/ the
	command "./cups start", the canonical way to get
	a process started at startup.  Not only did that
	give me one process, but it allowed me to
	log on as admin and to install the printer.

	I have tried to "print test page", in the maintenance
	menu, and the printer didn't respond.  I tried, in the
	maintenance menu "print self-test page" and a light
	on the printer started blinking!<g>.  So this is
	progress.

	I also tried as user 'alan' to 'lp <filename> and
	I got the error message
	  lp: Error - no default destination available.
 	So I revisited the administration menu, clicked on
	"Set as server default", tried the lp again, and
	this time got
	    request id is Brother_MFC-L2700DW_series-10 (1 file(s))
 	which I take not to be an error message.  But still
	nothing from the printer.

	I think my problem is now with the Brother MFC-L2700DW,
	so I'll do some more reading in the Fine Manual that
	I have.

> I'd start with a bug report to the Debian folks...
        Given the situation so far, I think that Debian can
	be acquitted.  I have run Debian in various avatars
	for ten years, and have only submitted one bug report,
	a thoroughly justified one.

Thanks again for your help.  If any other member of this E-list
has a Brother printer and can offer suggestions, I'd welcome it.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
       They finally got King Midas, I hear.  Gild by association.