[cups] Difficulty in Adding a printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jan 16 00:27:40 PST 2015

Hello,

only an addendum FYI:

On Jan 15 23:40 G.W. Haywood wrote (excerpt):
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Alan McConnell wrote:
>
>> ...  If any other member of this E-list has a Brother printer and
>> can offer suggestions, I'd welcome it.
>
> Sell it and get something from HP.

Not just "something" from HP, see
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/unsupported.html

Instead make sure that whatever printer or all-in-one device
one buys from HP is listed as supported at
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html
and that the particular model does not need any kind of
"downloadable driver plug-in" or firmware download and
in case of network connection make sure that the device
has built-in HP JetDirect networking.

In general see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_buying_guide
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:GDI_Printers

The HPLIP driver software is free software because it does not
contain HP's special "downloadable driver plug-in" stuff that
is only needed for some weak devices. In contrast to other
manufacturers HP understands how to provide free software
that is not somehow "tainted" with non-free stuff.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)