[cups] Acquire paper and tray info

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at email.unc.edu
Thu Jan 22 06:57:22 PST 2015

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Simplest solutions is probably to set in the printer device itself
> (via the buttons on the printer device itself) to use simplex mode
> by default because it seems currently the printer device uses
> duplex mode by default.

Hello Johannes,
  Unfortunately, this is a bizhub 1250, a major league sized device that's
used by various folks across the University, and not my personal or group
printer.  There's too many other people using it for me to mess with
resetting the defaults (which hopefully, I didn't do by playing around
with the "SET DEFAULT" commands!^)

> Do not mix up the different languages PCL versus PJL versus PostScript.
> When you switched the printer into PJL language mode, you can
> only send PJL language to the printer.
>
> I think the following PJL command should work:
>
> @PJL SET DUPLEX=OFF

I'm writing my printer output to a file to check what's actually getting
sent. Here's the top of the file (the ESC is actually there, just not in
the copy I made):

2345X at PJL
@PJL SET DRIVERJOBID="ACDE48A5E35902221439490479"
@PJL SET STRINGCODESET=UTF8
@PJL SET USERNAME="pmitchel"
@PJL SET USERMEDIANAME="DV02"
@PJL SET USERNAME="DV02 forms"
@PJL SET DUPLEX=OFF
@PJL SET PILEMODE=ON
@PJL SET JOBNAME="Microsoft Word - PMerged.docx"

I know that it's getting the call for the DV02 form, but I still seem to
print Duplex mode.

Continuing to wrestle with this! Thanks for allthe help so far.

FTR, here's what od -bc shows me about the top of the file:

0000000 033 045 055 061 062 063 064 065 130 100 120 112 114 015 012 100
         033 % - 1 2 3 4 5 X @ P J L \r \n @

Paul

         Paul Mitchell
 	ITS Systems
         email: pmitchel at email.unc.edu
 	location: 440 Franklin, cubby 1512, CB#1150
 	desk phone: 919 445-0063