[cups] Is Printer ON-Line?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Jan 24 03:32:39 PST 2015

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 14:44:43 -0800, Sy Bensky stated:

> This works only if one is standing next to the printer.

Sorry Sy; next time try and be more specific. You failed to state whether you
wanted a software or observational solution.

Seriously though, that is why I have my printers connected through MS
Windows. Then if an error occurs, an error pops up on screen. Plus, an icon
for my printer is visible in the right hand corner of the screen.

I use FreeBSD, and over the years I have had nothing but problems trying to
get my Brother Laser Printers to work correctly under CUPS. I do realize that
a great deal of that problem is with FreeBSD itself; but it just should not
be that hard to get an MFC (Multi Function Center) printer to work to its
full capabilities on an OS other than Windows.

--
Jerry