[cups] Is Printer ON-Line?

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Thu Jan 29 08:15:33 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 06:32:39AM -0500, Jerry wrote:

> I use FreeBSD, and over the years I have had nothing but problems trying to
> get my Brother Laser Printers to work correctly under CUPS. I do realize that
> a great deal of that problem is with FreeBSD itself; but it just should not
> be that hard to get an MFC (Multi Function Center) printer to work to its
> full capabilities on an OS other than Windows.
       MHO:  the Brother printer is fine.  I took mine back to the
       Staples I bought it from, and they plugged it into their
       M$ machine and it worked fine.  HOWEVER! the Brothers support
       for Linux(and I guess any other non-M$ and non-Mac system) is terrible.
       I'm talking about phone support and E-mail support.  I was
       finally forced to return the printer, before my two-week
       warranty ran out.

       CUPS is, IMHO, a fine tested printer management system.  And
       Brother is certainly CUPS-aware, so it shouldn't be a problem
       for them to help Linux/BSD people.  I advocate putting pressure
       on Brother to get their act together.

       In the meantime, I'm going to find another, non-Brother,
       printer.

Best wishes to all,

Alan McConnell in Silver Spring MD

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
     One Law for the Lion and Ox is Oppression(W. Blake)