[cups] Instructions for installing /printers/<queue name>.ppd-based printer on Windows?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jul 13 12:46:04 PDT 2015

Michael,

Sadly there really isn't a good solution for this - you need to rewrite the PPD (see the old code from cupsaddsmb in older CUPS releases) as well as create an INF file, and then pray that the application you are using honors what is in the PPD (some applications, particularly those from Adobe, do not do so well...)

You'll likely have better luck creating a client-side (Windows) command-line tool to grab the PPD and prepare things on the client.  Driver push from Samba is problematic at best since you also have to push the Microsoft-supplied PSCRIPT.DLL and friends... :/