[cups] Instructions for installing /printers/<queue name>.ppd-based printer on Windows?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 10:49:16 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 3:46 PM Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Sadly there really isn't a good solution for this - you need to rewrite
> the PPD (see the old code from cupsaddsmb in older CUPS releases) as well
> as create an INF file,

If I could at least find a somewhat-complete set of instructions for this,
I'd be ridiculously happy. I've seen references to "oh, you just do this",
and have been unable to find out how to do it.

> and then pray that the application you are using honors what is in the PPD
> (some applications, particularly those from Adobe, do not do so well...)
>
> You'll likely have better luck creating a client-side (Windows)
> command-line tool to grab the PPD and prepare things on the client.

This is what I want to do, but I haven't found a remotely complete+up to
date set of instructions for how to do this. Part of why I documented
everything I'd found so far; when that email shows up in archives, it'll
help some other poor soul going down the same path I've been going down,
and it hopefully helps I've done my diligence in trying to find the
information myself.

I mean, if I can find out how to properly package the PPD and a customized
INF file, I can drop it on a file server, and when adding a printer, I can
click "Have Disk" and point at that.

>From the sound of it, I need to look into cupsaddsmb in ye olde releases.

> Driver push from Samba is problematic at best since you also have to push
> the Microsoft-supplied PSCRIPT.DLL and friends... :/

Yup.