[cups] TCP window size gets set to zero and printing times out/stops

Smith, Ed ed.smith at daikinapplied.com
Mon Jul 27 12:17:46 PDT 2015

Greetings,

we've been having a problem with print jobs stopping, so we changed the error-policy to retry. Now print restarts,
often to completion on the 2nd attempt (but not always). The problem can surface on new and old printers alike, short and
long reports, running raw, with reports preformatted by server's apps as Postscript, and postscript option installed and running on printers .
We started experiencing this issue when we migrated from solaris 10/previous cups version (1.2.6, I believe) to RHEL Linux 5.9\cups 1.3.7. The older environment ran on our same network just fine, I don't recall ever having this issue then, it ran for years OK this way. My wireshark sniffs suggests the TCP window size gets set to 0, and communication between server and printer
just stops. Old and new printers, random, so I don't think it's the firmware. Any clue as to what we might look at next?  Thanks!  -Ed Smith

Thanks.

Ed J Smith