[cups-devel] When accessing HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 254x IPP-over-USB does everything but printing

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:44:18 PDT 2015

So I can only print with CUPS via USB-over-IPP with this printer if I
create a backend named

/usr/lib/cups/backend/test

containing

----------
#!/bin/sh
# Simple test backend

if [ $# -lt 5 -o $# -gt 6 ]; then
   echo "ERROR: $0 job-id user title copies options [file]" >&2
   exit 1
fi

# Read from given file
if [ -n "$6" ]; then
   exec "$0" "$1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$5" < "$6"
fi

cat > /tmp/printout

/usr/bin/ipptool -L -d filetype=application/octet-stream -d
filename=/tmp/printout ipp://localhost:60000/ipp/print
/usr/share/cups/ipptool/print-job.test

make it executable, and create a queue like this:

lpadmin -p test2 -E -v test: -P /etc/cups/ppd/Deskjet-2540-series.ppd

stealing the PPD of an existing HPLIP queue (classic USB or WiFi).

This reliably prints all files which Ubuntu's CUPS/cups-filter combo
accepts. Note that the backend is a simple example which does not
fulfill production security standards and has no discovery mode (call
without command line arguments).

But I would like to be able to use the standard CUPS "ipp" backend.

    Till