[cups-devel] cupsd.conf option DefaultPaperSize has no effect

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 30 04:19:26 PDT 2015

Hello!

I am posting this to the cups-devel list because it seems very likely
that this is a bug in CUPS.

Recently, we migrated the print server at the department where I work
from CUPS 1.4.4 (Debian Squeeze) to CUPS 1.7.5 (Debian Jessie). To set
up the printers, we're using the lpadmin command run from a script.

Since we're located in Germany, the preferred default paper size here
is A4 and, luckily, CUPS has now the feature which allows to set a
default page size which is to be assumed when creating a new print
queue.

>From the manpage:

       DefaultPaperSize Auto

       DefaultPaperSize None

       DefaultPaperSize sizename
            Specifies the default paper size for new print queues.
            "Auto" uses a locale- specific default, while "None"
            specifies there is no default paper size.

However, it seems that this particular feature does not work at all
unless I am missing something. I set DefaultPaperSize to A4, add
a new printer using "lpadmin" with the result that the default
paper size for the printer is still "Letter".

Is there any other condition that needs to be fulfilled that this
setting is honored or is this a bug as I am suspecting?

Cheers,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz