[cups] Prints with PCL Commands in Body

Jonathan Hannan jonathan.hannan at cox.net
Thu Jun 4 10:23:50 PDT 2015

We have an Oracle Database running on Solaris 10 and a CUPS 1.6 server running on RHEL7.  Originally the CUPS was on a Solaris 8 Server that fell over dead, so we had to build a new server from scratch and reconfigure everything.  Naturally all this happens just after the server admin left the organization.  So I'm tasked to recover the print operations having not even heard of CUPS print before this.

The issue that I'm facing is that when generating reports from Oracle, the .out file contains PCL commands (s7B and (s0B for  formatting.  Printing this file retains the commands in the body of the printed document instead of rendering the associated text as bold.

We are working with 2 printers for this.  The primary is an HP JetDirect 600n and we also have various Savin printers that we tested this on.  I've tried a range of PPD files provided by openprinting.org for both printers, installing the hplip and other drivers from the openprinting repository, restoring the mime.types and mime.convs files from backups, and even utilizing some of the 1.1 ppd files.  So far, we just cannot get either the printers or cups to recognize the PCL commands in the file.

I can provide logs or configurations upon request.  Any help or guidance on where to look next would be appreciated.