[cups] Prints with PCL Commands in Body

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jun 8 02:26:25 PDT 2015

Hello,

On Jun 5 16:38 Jonathan Hannan wrote (excerpt):
> Once I ship the file off as raw, the imbedded PCL commands
> do get interpreted.  But the line at the top of the page
> "#PDF-BANNER Template default.pdf..." isn't a part
> of the original file.  It's been added in somewhere along the way.

When you have set up the print queue with banner pages enabled,
CUPS will add banner page content to the print job.

By default when you set up a print queue with the "lpadmin" command,
no banner pages are enabled (at least not on my Linux system).

Perhas you used another tool (or whatever nice graphical GUI)
where banner pages are enabled when setting up a print queue?

Using (as root)
# lpadmin -p <queue_name> -o job-sheets-default=none,none
should disable banner pages for the print queue.

You can verify whether or not banner pages are enabled by
inspecting /etc/cups/printers.conf whether or not it contains
"JobSheets none none" (disabled banner pages) versus something
like "JobSheets topsecret standard".

The CUPS default banner pages are stored in a directoy like
/usr/share/cups/banners/

When you need banner pages for a "raw" queue for a PCL printer,
you need to make and store banner pages in PCL format in
CUPS' banner pages directoy e.g. as PCL files like
/usr/share/cups/banners/myPCLbefore
/usr/share/cups/banners/myPCLafter
and restart the cupsd so that it recognizes the new banner pages.

Then you can enable your banner pagest for your print queue using
# lpadmin -p <queue_name> -o job-sheets-default=myPCLbefore,myPCLafter

When you now print a PCL file via
$ lp -d queue_name myPCLfile
CUPS will send to the PCL printer a "raw" concatenation of
/usr/share/cups/banners/myPCLbefore
myPCLfile
/usr/share/cups/banners/myPCLafter

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)