[cups] Compatibility Matrix

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Wed Jun 17 18:00:00 PDT 2015

Hi Madeleine,

> Hello, I am trying to find a compatibility matrix for CUPS in order to verify which versions of CUPS
>works with CentOS 5, CentOS 6 and CentOS 7. I cannot find any official documentation that gives
> me this information and would like verification. Is there any document or person that can inform
> me of the compatibility of CUPS versions with centOS?

Not sure if you are asking which versions of CUPS build on which version of CentOS.

>From CUPS 1.6.0 onwards, the cups-filters package is required for printing with CUPS under Linux, see:
   http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/cups-filters

Building later versions of CUPS is easiest on CentOS 7. Download the newer CUPS source RPM from a Fedora source repository and rebuild, it will complain about a number of dependencies being too old, download the corresponding source RPMs to satisfy dependencies and rebuild and install those RPMs... Fortunately there aren't that many RPMs that need to be installed for the latest CUPS and cups-filters packages on CentOS 7.

Building later versions of CUPS is a major pain on CentOS 6, the cups-filters package has dependencies on newer versions of packages which in turn have even more dependencies on other newer packages. I've built CUPS 1.6 and later on CentOS 6, but is a fair bit of work.

I wouldn't even try building later versions of CUPS on CentOS 5.

I haven't tried the CUPS RPM from www.cups.org.

Cheers,
Doug