[cups] Arch Linux, networked Brother j625dw "Unable to locate printer"

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 14:03:35 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Jun 22 17:21 Aaron Laws wrote (excerpt):
>
>> ... archlinux ...
>> Brother j625dw ... IP address ...
>> ... ping -c 4 brother ... pings successfully. I've installed
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-mfc-j625dw/ -- actually it
>> didn't work ...

>> The logs don't show anything interesting:

>> E ... [Job 2] Unable to queue job for destination "home-brother".
>> E ... [Job 9] Unable to queue job for destination "brotherviasnmp".
>>

> I have neither Arch Linux nor a Brother MFC-J625DW device or similar.
>
> Nevertheless some generic info:
>
> The above CUPS log messages do not show a reason why cupsd
> is "Unable to queue job". Usually you must enable CUPS debug
> messages to get more interesting information, cf.
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue
>
> Brother's specifications for that device at
> http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ625DW/spec#.VYlWSUqrHKE
> contain (excerpt):
> Print
> Emulation(s)    GDI
> .
> .
> .
> Connectivity & Compatibility
> Standard Interface(s)    Hi-Speed USB 2.0, Wireless
> Supported Network Protocols (IPv4)    ... Port/Port9100 ...
>
> The "Emulation(s) GDI" means that this device does not support
> a standard printer language so that you need a special driver
> that makes the special proprietary model-specific data format
> that lets this special device print, cf.
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:GDI_Printers
>
> Often so called "GDI printers" do not behave as normal printers.
> For example it might be required that such a printer is directly
> connected to the computer where its special driver runs or access
> via network - in particular access via wireless network - may
> even more require this or that special stuff to be set up
> to use such a printer.
>
> In the end this means that for a so called "GDI printer" you
> have to use only the special driver software of the printer
> manufacturer and in case of issues you can basically only
> ask there for help and support.
>
> For example standard testing by using a command like
> # echo -en "\rHello\r\f" | netcat brother 9100
> will very likely not at all work for this special device, cf.
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_a_Printer
>
> When you have a file with the special proprietary model-specific
> data format that lets this special device print, then you can use
> # cat file | netcat brother 9100
> to send the file to port 9100 at the printer device to test
> if it prints this way via network.
>
> In general regarding accessing a printer via network cf.
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_TCP/IP_network
> (excerpts):
> A connection is specified as so called Device URI, see
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> the section "The Backends".

> [...]

Thanks for the information. This looks very helpful and should help me get
started.

I don't remember whether I said or not, but this printer works on other
machines just fine over network, and I used to have it plugged in and it
worked fine then. In fact, now, when I want to print something, I go to the
debian machine and print it there.

I look forward to combing through this information and trying much of what
you say. I'll also consider contacting brother.