[cups] How to define Policy that allows all for anybody?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Jun 29 01:33:12 PDT 2015

Hello,

I wonder how to define a CUPS operation policy that
allows all for anybody.

When I use in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
<Policy allowallforanybody>
   <Limit All>
     Order deny,allow
     Allow from all
   </Limit>
</Policy>
DefaultPolicy allowallforanybody
I get the following warnings
in /var/log/cups/error_log:
W ... No limit for Validate-Job defined in policy
  allowallforanybody and no suitable template found.
W ... No limit for Cancel-Jobs defined in policy
  allowallforanybody and no suitable template found.
W ... No limit for Cancel-My-Jobs defined in policy
  allowallforanybody and no suitable template found.
W ... No limit for Close-Job defined in  policy
  allowallforanybody and no suitable template found.
W ... No limit for CUPS-Get-Document defined in policy
  allowallforanybody and no suitable template found.
W ... No JobPrivateAccess defined in policy
  allowallforanybody - using defaults.
W ... No JobPrivateValues defined in policy
  allowallforanybody - using defaults.
W ... No SubscriptionPrivateAccess defined in policy
  allowallforanybody - using defaults.
W ... No SubscriptionPrivateValues defined in policy
  allowallforanybody - using defaults.
   <Limit All Validate-Job Cancel-Jobs Cancel-My-Jobs
  Close-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
     Order deny,allow
     Allow from all
   </Limit>
</Policy>
DefaultPolicy allowallforanybody
I get no longer the warnings in /var/log/cups/error_log
but now cups clients like "lpstat -p" just hang up
(need to be aborted by [Ctrl]+[C]).

Currently I do not know how to make correctly a policy
that allows all for anybody.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)