[cups] cups 2.0.2 / cups-filters-1.0.62 && printing UTF-8 text files

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Mar 11 00:45:51 PDT 2015

El día Tuesday, March 10, 2015 a las 07:02:51PM +0100, Helge Blischke escribió:

> Hallo Matthias,
>
> the redesign isn’t as far as I hoped. The reason is that for font subsetting
> (the whole Gnu freefont may be too big for a lot of PS printers) I switched
> the design from using programs from the t1utils package to pure PostScript
> (using Ghostscript as the PS interpreter). I think I’ll need some one to two weeks
> more to set up a usable prototype (still without syntax driven highlighting).
> I hope this is OK to you.

Hello Helge,

Thanks for the info and I have no problem with any delay in this;

Re/ fonts too big: we stumpled over this already while using the
FreeFonts with texttops of CUPS 1.4.3; this is not only a problem for
the printers itself, but as well for the transfer and interpretion time
of the resulting Postscript file; with the FreeFonts embedded in the
Postscript file any printout of a few UTF-8 text results in around 1
MByte Postscript file size; we handcrafted a workaround by rastering the
Postscript to PCL5 with ghostscript before sending it to the printer.
It would be nice if this could be done as an option by text2ps too on
the fly.

Thx

	matthias

Hello Helge,

Thanks for the info and I have no problem with any delay in this;

Re/ fonts too big: we stumbled over this already while using the
FreeFonts with texttops of CUPS 1.4.3; this is not only a problem for
the printers itself, but as well for the transfer and interpreting time

--
Matthias Apitz, guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
La referencia de la Duma a la anexión de la RDA, en este caso al contrario con la Crimlía sin